LYRIC O’ THE DAY:
My end, it justifies my means.
--Before I Forget, Slipknot
Bloggy Memes are the internet form of Mogwais. They multiple quickly, and it can be difficult to figure out what to do with them. Still, they are damn adorable, and I love you all for thinking of me.
I have received some fab awards here of late, and it’s now time to acknowledge the fab people that passed on their bloggy lovin’ to me.
Trisha over at Word + Stuff gave me a Kreativ Blogging Award. The tithe is to list 6 things about little ol’ me.
Kathleen over at Reading, Writing and Life gave me a Sunshine Award, which is just such a great thing. Makes me want to dance to Katrina and the Waves. It comes with some specific questions to answer.
Wendy at The Red Angel gave me a Sunshine Award and a Lucky 7 Meme. The Lucky 7 is pretty cool, you take your current ms, go to page 77, go 7 lines from the top and those next 7 lines are your tithe.
Suze at Analog Breakfast gave me a Versatile Blogger award, too, and she wants 7 more random facts about yours truly.
So without further ado, here is a plethora of memes. You might want to make sure your blender is working--not sure what these things will do once I start to feed ‘em, and it’s getting close to midnight.
Six random facts about me:
1. I find commercials that feature talking food really creepy, especially that Chips Ahoy commercial where the cookie has eyeballs. Why would something I'm going to eat tell me how good it tastes and want me to eat it?
Ooooo. . .wait, is this Freudian? Because if I think like an anthropologist (see my last post) that means Chips Ahoy is trying to make me think of sex and chocolate chips.
2. I love garage sales with a mad passion. My dad and I spend spring and summer digging through other people’s junk. I’m hoping to have an American Pickers moment of greatness one day, maybe find a Monet and live for the rest of my life on easy street. Or maybe I'll just find Suze's Cap'n Crunch Fire King mug, which would be almost as good.
|I'm coming for you, Cap'n.|
3. This is one of my favorite pieces of art, an oil painting by a Polish guy named Beksinski. They're apocalyptic lovers, and it really strikes a nerve in me. To me, it symbolizes the kind of love that if you had just moments to live before annihilation, you'd wrap yourself around the other person and never let go.
4. I am double jointed and can put both legs behind my head like a pretzel. Strange how I didn't have more dates in college.
5. I was a Teacher’s Aide for a Human Physiology lab in college. Consequently, I can castrate a rat in less than 5 minutes. It takes me a little longer if he gets to his car first.
6. The first real concert I went to was Metallica (pre-haircut and Napster) in Des Moines, Iowa. I was almost smashed on the mosh pit floor until this giant burly dude pulled me from the fray like a tattooed god reaching from the heavens. I'm still a fan of big burly tattooed guys, just look at my romance selections. FYI, Gena Showalter has awesome tattooed warrior dudes.
And another seven random facts about me:
1. My husband and I are the product of a one-night stand that has turned into 15 years. You can meet someone you'll love forever in a bar, I'm living proof.
2. I love to be scared--one of my dream trips would be to go to the Stanley hotel (of The Shining fame) and spend a night. Just as long as there are no clowns involved. Clowns scare the freaking hell out of me.
|The Stanley Hotel. Just looks scary.|
3. When I’m tense, I pick at my pinky toenails. As a result, they are horrifically deformed. Think Hobbit feet.
4. I hate turtlenecks on men.
5. I’m a huge fan of musicals--Pippin and A Chorus Line are my favorites. I briefly entertained a musical theater major in college. Now I just sing in the shower.
6. I know all the lines to The Rocky Horror Picture Show. My fave song is “Toucha Toucha Toucha Touch Me.”
7. I can do a pretty good imitation of Animal from the Muppets screaming “WOMAN!!”
Specific questions about me from the Sunshine Award:
Favorite Color: Green.
Favorite Animal: The Honey Badger. They’re small, ferocious, can use tools, and secrete a substance from their anal glands that can calm bees. What’s not to love?
Favorite Number: 13. No triskaidekaphobia here.
Favorite Non-Alcoholic Drink: Ice tea, unsweetened. On the alcohol side, I love red wine and red beer.
Facebook or Twitter: I like Twitter, because it’s one of those things where the name really does describe what it is. I find Facebook odd--there’s a lot of sharing of things I don’t think necessarily should be shared, even if it is only with 10,134 of your closest friends. Facebook also makes me realize that some of the people I know are narcissistic, self righteous assholes. And the rest of the people I know just like cat videos.
My Passions: My family. I have two little boys that hung the moon and make me remember what living is all about (some days the definition of success is watching Scooby Doo videos while wrapped in a warm blanket). I also love to run, and I don’t feel right if I don’t go at least five times a week, even if it’s only for a mile. Finally, I love to make people laugh--humor is what gets me through the day.
Getting or Giving Presents: I am obsessed with gift giving--it’s nearly a sport to find the perfect gift for people I know. I love finding something unique that totally defines that person. I'm so not a gift card gal, unless I'm desperate.
Favorite Pattern: Paisley.
Favorite Day of the Week: Any day I don’t have to work my normal job.
Favorite Flower: Irises and lilies are tied.
Finally, here is the Lucky 7 meme. This excerpt is from my novel, “Wheel of Fortune.” It's the story of Jorga Volf, disgraced plastic surgeon forced to move home and reconcile with her family--a clan of Czechoslovakian carnies who run their tiny town like a redneck mafia. Page 77, seven lines down goes a little like this:
About three years ago there was an earthquake in Nebraska, only about an hour from here. It lasted fifteen seconds and rated 3.5 on the Richter scale. My fourth cousin Joey became a local celebrity after the ABC affiliate from Omaha came out and interviewed him regarding his injuries. He’d been on the toilet when it happened, and a bottle of Liquid Plumber fell out of the cabinet and beamed him right on the head, putting him in a coma for three days. Guy still stutters.
I was perched on the bathroom vanity, trying out this purifying facial masque Stasia had when the house suddenly shook with a force so violent, I accidentally poked myself in the eye with a clay covered finger. Limited by monocular vision, I stumbled out of the bathroom into the hallway just as another shock went through the house, this time accompanied with a deafening explosion of glass.
Thanks all of you for sending me your memes and thinking of me; I hope I didn't miss anyone. Lately I've been a little thin in the blogging department--when life starts getting hectic, it seems to be one of the first things I have to put a hold on. Stuff like this makes me remember how much I love the writerly community. Have a fantastic weekend!!
And for those of you (Mr. McCarthy, where are you?) who came solely for the nudity I promised? Here ya go:
|Will Ferrell, naked. You're welcome.|